Sunday, July 11, 2010

Monday Morning Coming Down

It will not be long until I make the journey to the Cracker Barrel Old Country Store in Canton, Georgia. It has been a good weekend, as one of my boys turned 14, so we had plenty of cake and good eats. We celebrated his birthday on Friday with a trip to the Blue Ridge Pizza Hut, which happens to be one of my favorite eateries. I have been visiting the Blue Ridge Pizza Hut since my early teen years, I am forty-seven now, so our relationship goes back along ways. I still enjoy the food, and service most of the time, however, sometimes I get frustrated by the way it is run. A good example is what happened a few weeks ago as we were at the Pizza Hut.

We were at the Pizza Hut on a Wednesday night, with a semi-large group. Most of us ordered salads, but the salad bar was in bad need of restocking. In fact, all my wife and sister-in-law ordered was all you can eat salad bars. The waitress seemed to all by herself on the floor with our party of sixteen and other guests as well. There was another lady who appeared to be a manager or a shift leader, or maybe neither who was providing some assistance to the waitress,who was extremely busy. But upon noticing that the salad bar was in bad need of replenishing, the lady who appeared to be a manger or shift leader or whatever she was instructed the waitress who was trying to take care of guests to restock the salad bar. I was appalled, here was a waitress trying to take care of multiple guests, now having to restock a salad bar with a party of sixteen all wanting salads.

My question is why didn't the manager, shift leader, or whatever she was restock the salad bar, or was there not anybody in the kitchen who could do it. Either the Pizza Hut was did not have an adequate staff that night, or for some reason it just wasn't happening like it should. In my opinion, you should do whatever it takes to provide the best possible dining experience for the guest. If that means a manager/shift leader/cook/ or whoever has to restock the salad bar so the waitress can provide that experience for the guest, then they should step up to the plate and make it happen.

As a server myself, I have to work very hard at my job, I expect everyone else including management to work hard as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment