Friday, August 6, 2010

15 Years with Cracker Barrel

Wednesday marked my 15 year anniversary with Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. It has been an interesting journey to say the least. I started with Cracker Barrel when I was a young man of 31 as a part time waiter, since October of 2000 I have been working full time. When I started I had never had a job as a waiter, and the manager was apprehensive about letting me wait on tables, suggesting that I try being a host. But at my insistence, he relented and allowed me to give waiting on tables a try; now fifteen years down the road I make a decent living waiting tables, making more money on the hour than I would ever have expected. As a whole, the Cracker Barrel company is a good company to work for, although I have worked under managers who's decisions and judgements are not what I would deem the wisest. I would love to be able to provide a training course for managers from a grass-roots employee level, to share with up and coming managers some of the experience and wisdom that I have garnered over the years. In fact, I would like to talk with the movers and shakers in Lebanon and share some ideas that I believe could take Cracker Barrel up to the next level. Of course, I am just dreaming, it seems that the thoughts and opinions of those in the lower echelon of a corporation are not considered as valuable as those with degrees, or who have always worked in higher positions. I still believe that the person who can describe the landscape the best are the ones who are the closest and who have their feet on the ground, not those flying overhead with only an aerial view. But what do I know, I am just a lowly waiter living off tips. Anyhow, I am thankful for Cracker Barrel allowing me to work for them and the wonderful benefits that they have provided for me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment