Wednesday, August 11, 2010

On Attitude

In my line of work, I encounter many people who have a rotten attitude. It seems that nothing pleases them and they appear to be angry with the world in general. Now, I have to be fair, working at Cracker Barrel is no walk in the park, there are situations that I face daily that tempt me and sometimes do put me in a bad state of mind and heart; sometimes I am the one with the bad attitude. But from my experience, if I will just try to do my job, and not let my circumstances cause me to have a bad attitude I usually have a pretty good day. I believe much of life is just doing the best with the hand that we have been dealt in life, and to do the best we have to maintain a proper attitude. For example, on a slow work day, a lot of servers walk around complaining about how slow it is, which accomplishes nothing. On the other hand, if on a slow day they would use the slow time to focus on giving extra good service to the guests that are there, it could help in building the business. One server, a trainer no doubt, asked me why I was working so fast. She reasoned that because the business was slow, I should be working slow. Not so, no matter if there is a dining room full of guests or just one patron, we should do our utmost to provide the most efficient, best dining experience possible. Having an attitude of providing the best service, whether we are busy or slow is the attitude that will keep Cracker Barrel on top in the years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment